Saturday, January 25, 2014

Graphic 45 - Olde Curiosity Shoppe - repurposed lamp




    

 
 
Re-purposed Lamp
featuring Graphic 45's Olde Curiosity Shoppe Collection
 
 
 
 
I have had this lamp for a number of years. It was actually "dressed up" using pinks and browns.  I got to hating it and stripped it down .  Once that was done, I wanted something soft and elegant, yet with some style.  I love the edges and body shape, it calls out for very classy paper. 
 
Graphic 45 came to the rescue.  I love their paper lines.  You can adapt them to so many projects.  So, I poured through my stash and found Olde Curiosity Shoppe and the make over began.
 
The base takes the longest to do.  I had to get the paper wet so that it could be molded around the base corners and the round body above.  This made a mess, but I was in heaven.  I tore the paper into strips and using Claudine Hellmuth's Multi-medium Matte, I started applying the paper, working form the bottom up.  Layering as I went, the took shape slowly.  After it was all done, I set it aside to dry naturally. 
 
 

                                      
 
 
Next up was the lamp shade.  Because I wanted this to be a functioning lamp, I left the original shade material in place and layered my paper over the top of that material.  The inside of the shade was a creamy beige and worked wonderfully in matching up with the paper.  Hopefully, this will prevent the paper from scorching when in use.  OF COURSE, I will be using a low end watt bulb.  This is going to be an accent piece, not a reading or working lamp. 
 
 
 You can see the original color where a previous embellishment was placed.  This material faded over time.  Using the lamp as my guide, I made a template and cut the 4 sides out by adding a half inch to each end.  I needed this to fold over the edges.  Each piece was taped on using Scor-Tape.  I did not want the glue to be soaked up by the cloth material.  And, it makes for a temporary cover if I ever want to change out the paper on the shade.


 

Almost done - you can see where I folded over the paper along the sides.  When each new piece is added, I covered and layered over this fold.  than I had the challenge of how I was going to cover the sides.  I did not like seeing the paper edges.  Mind going at this point while I finished up.








 I used 2 different pieces of paper from the collection. I wanted a different look from each side and it allowed me to turn the lampshade around for a different feel. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now, back to the base. It is dry now and it needed something.  Using a few sprigs from Petaloo and one of the metal butterflies form Graphic 45, I added them to the base.  The butterfly was put through my Vagabond and embossed using one of Tim Holtz's Sizzix Alterations - Texture Fades  #558577.  Next, I used Alcohol inks and stained the butterfly with some soft but warm
colors. 
 
 
 
Almost done.  Remember the lamp shade, well I used some ribbons from May Arts to cover the long edges, the top and the base as well.  Here is my finished product.
 
 
 
I am almost tempted to do something with the shade to fill in the large sides but sometimes less is more.  I love it just the way it is.  BTW, the bubble in the lamp shade is the paper not laying down against the cloth beneath.  Oh Well...I still love it.
 
 
I hope this inspires you to remake a lamp that you may have and hate.  This was a fun project and one that I will repeat again.  Wonder what papers Graphic 45 will come out with next?......
 
 
Enjoy!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 





 

1 comment :

  1. I'll immediately grab your rss feed as Cccam Server I cant find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...